Welcome to York University's Math Kangaroo Wesbite! Since 2016, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at York University has hosted the Math Kangaroo Contest, which is held in March of every year. This contest encourages the fun and creativity behind mathematics at an early age. Stay tuned for updates by visiting this site often.
Complementing the Kangaroo Math contest, we will have learning sessions leading up to the date of the contest in March. These learning sessions are an opportunity to expose and inspire young minds to the ingenuity, logic, and beauty behind mathematics in a dynamic and carefree learning environment. Anyone who plans on writing the contest in March at York University are welcome to register for these sessions; however, there is no requirement to register for the contest in order to attend our learning sessions. Parents are not expected to attend the learning sessions with their children. There is currently NO fee associated to the learning sessions.
All learning sessions will be held at York University (Keele Campus). For directions, see York University's Campus Map. Note: the Ross Building is #28 on the campus map. Information about parking at York University can be found here.
Learning sessions are divided by the following grades*:
(A) grades 1 to 2
(B) grades 3 to 4
(C) grades 5 to 6
(D) grades 7 to 8
* for grades 9 and up, please email us at cmkc(at)yorku(dot)ca to let us know of your interest, and the specific grade you are in. Please anticipate about five business days for a reply.
Tentative timeline for 2019 learning sessions are noted below, and will be held on Saturday afternoons (specific time: TBA). If we do not receive sufficient interest, learning sessions may be cancelled.
- Online registration: NOW OPEN until October 15, 2018!
- First learning session: January 19, 2019
- Second learning session: January 26, 2019
- Third learning session: February 2, 2019
- Fourth learning session: Februrary 9, 2019
- NO learning session on Feburary 16, 2019 and February 23, 2019
- Fifth learning session: March 2, 2019
- Sixth learning session: March 9, 2019
- Last learning session: March 16, 2019
- Math Kangaroo Contest: March 24, 2019
See pictures of our previous Math Kangaroos, and read a story about our first time hosting the Math Kangaroo Contest. Previous copies of contests, as well as many answers to your questions can be found at the Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest Website. For further inquiries, write to cmkc(at)yorku(dot)ca. Please anticipate about five business days for a reply.
We are looking for sponsors! If you know of a company or individuals interested in sponsoring our learning sessions, please write to us at the email address above.
Last updated: Sept 11, 2018.