Welcome to York University's Math Kangaroo Wesbite! Since 2016, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at York University has hosted the Math Kangaroo Contest, which is held in March of every year. This contest encourages the fun and creativity behind mathematics at an early age. Stay tuned for updates by visiting this site often.
Complementing the Kangaroo Math contest, we will have learning sessions leading up to the date of the contest in March. These learning sessions are an opportunity to expose and inspire young minds to the ingenuity, logic, and beauty behind mathematics in a dynamic and carefree learning environment. Anyone who plans on writing the contest in March at York University are welcome to register for these sessions; however, there is no requirement to register for the contest in order to attend our learning sessions. Parents are not expected to attend the learning sessions with their children. There is NO fee associated to the learning sessions.
All learning sessions will be held at York University (Keele Campus). For directions, see York University's Campus Map. Note: the Ross Building is #28 on the campus map. Information about parking at York University can be found here.
Learning sessions are divided by the following age groups:
(A) 6 to 7 year olds (in ROSS SOUTH Room 525)
(B) 8 year olds (in ROSS SOUTH Room 525)
(C) 9 to 11 year olds (in ROSS SOUTH Room 525)
(D) 12 years or older (in ROSS NORTH Room 638)
Timeline for 2018 learning sessions:
- July 2017: online registration opened
- November 9, 2017: online registration closed. We are now full, and we thank you for the overwhelming interest we have received. For those who registered, further details will be sent to you soon.
- November 14, 2017: those who registered for the learning sessions were contacted via email.
- First learning session: January 20, 2018 at 1:00pm to 2:30pm (between 1:00pm to 1:30pm Professor Chan will make some opening remarks).
- Second learning session: January 27, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm
- Third learning session: February 3, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm
- Fourth learning session: February 10, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm cancelled due to weather
- Fifth learning session: February 17, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm
- Sixth learning session: February 24, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm
- Seventh learning session: March 3, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm
- Last learning session: March 10, 2018 at 1:30pm to 2:30pm
- Math Kangaroo Contest: March 18, 2018*
*The location and time for the Math Kangaroo Contest on March 18, 2018 will be announced later.
See pictures of our previous Math Kangaroos, and read a story about our first time hosting the Math Kangaroo Contest. Previous copies of contests, as well as many answers to your questions can be found at the Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest Website. For further inquiries, write to cmkc(at)yorku(dot)ca. Please anticipate about five business days for a reply.
We are looking for sponsors! If you know of a company or individuals interested in sponsoring our learning sessions, please write to us at the email address above.
Last updated: February 10, 2018.